This is my third attempt at blogging. First Spain, then Pohnpei, and now I'm trying China. I promise that I am gonna get past 5 posts this time. Expect to see lots of pictures, some video and brief written posts.
Sunday, December 25, 2011
The Challenge
I have a challenge for all of you who frequently ride on trains. Here it goes. Next time you are on a train, get off at a stop that isn't your final destination. Go outside of the train platform and through the exit turnstiles. Rush through security and back to the entrance turnstiles. Hop back on your train. It can be done!
Here is the story behind how I stumbled across this absolutely pointless challenge.
Today was not my day for timing my exits. It started when I missed the bus stop for the rail station. I had been distracted by learning Chinese phrases like "train station" on my iphone. I ended up getting off at the next bus stop, walking across the road and ducking through a fence that divided the four lanes of traffic. I waited for the next bus to take me back one stop to the rail station. When I hopped on the next bus, the driver looked incredibly familiar. I was getting back onto the same bus that I had just gotten off of. I then realized that this was the end of the line for bus 77 and the bus had just made a U-turn a block away to return in direction it came. I felt a little embarrassed. Now that I think about it, this was just a hint of what was to come.
I've taken the train from Wuxi to Kunshan several times. It's not complicated. Buy your ticket. Go through security. Shuffle your way through the crowd and turnstiles. Board the train and find your seat. Wait about twenty minutes for them to announce the Kunshan South stop. Exit the train. Follow the stream of people to the turnstiles. Find Lisa on her scooter. Never have I messed this process up.
While on the train, I was again very involved with my phone. This time I was trying to use it to write a blog. I remember hearing them announce the stop "Suzhou" and later I swear they said "Next stop South Kunshan." As the train was slowing down Lisa called to ask if I was at the station yet and I told her that the train was just arriving. The train came to a stop, the doors opened, and I was one of the first people off the train. I was in car 13, seat 22, so I was a fair distance from the exit. As I took the escalator down I thought to myself "something seems a little different." I sent my ticket through the turnstile and it accepted it but again, something seemed different. The exit was nothing like the station in Kunshan. I was underground. By now I was starting to figure out that something was definitely different. Still, I was able to convince myself that I was in the right place. It wasn't until I saw a sign that said "Welcome to Suzhou," that I realized my mistake. Panic time!
My shoes, Sanuks, are very slippery. When I try to run on the smooth tile that they seem to have everywhere in China, it looks more like a bear trying to figure skate. How do you say "look out for the tall white guy with the huge puffy jacket! He's out of control!" in Chinese? I rushed around to the station's entrance and spotted my trains number still in green on display board (When it turns red it means that you are too late). I tossed my backpack onto the conveyer belt at security and got an extra few pats from the guard to make sure I didn't have anything hidden under this huge poofy jacket. I maneuvered my way through people on the way up the escalator to the waiting area. I scanned in all directions for my train number to figure out which turnstiles I needed to enter through. I had to squint but I saw my number, still in green, across the waiting area. I slid and skated my way through the crowd but when I got to the turnstile, it wouldn't accept my ticket. I showed my ticket to a worker that was fixing one of the turnstiles and she said that the ticket was used. I quickly tried to act out the mistake I had made but it was hopeless. Just then I saw another worker letting some people in to the side. I showed my ticket to her and she let me through. I ran down the stairs and couldn't believe that my train was still there and the doors were still open! I entered the platform at car 6 so I rushed along the platform towards the back of the train. As I passed car number 10 I realized that the automatic doors were closing. It was too late to dash through but I still had almost enough time to stick my arm through. Memories of my Dad holding me under the automatic garage door (which didn't have a motion sensor) back at Milo shot into my mind and quickly pulled my hand back (not that those aren't fond memories). I WAS SO CLOSE!!! The phone rings in my pocket and now I have to explain my mistake to Lisa.
The proper thing to do now is go back and exchange/buy a new ticket. The other choice is to try to wait around on the platform for the next train. I decided to try to blend in with the new crowd that was forming. The jacket hood goes on as I hope that the security guards hadn't noticed the scene that was just made. The next train came and I planned out my "confused american" routine that I would use if someone asked to see my ticket. I spent the next portion of the journey in the dining car. One of the train workers seemed to be checking tickets so I got up to make my way to the bathroom. Squat pots on a moving train instead of a western toilet?!! I don't even have time to get into that. The next stop was my stop, thank goodness, and I finished the trip as planned.
Although it's a little embarrassing, I'm glad I make mistakes like this. It gives me a chance to see and do things that you just can't plan. It's 5 minutes till Christmas here in China and although I miss my family and friends back home, I'm thankful for the adventures and new experiences that are finding me here. Of coarse, I'm also thankful to be spending Christmas with my big sister, Lisa. Love and miss you all very much, and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Merry Christmas, Shaun. I admire your ingenuity and tenacious spirit! God bless you in this season and thanks for sharing your adventures
ReplyDeleteDebby Edgerton
Thanks Debby! I was just thinking of your family over there in Florida and the kindness you showed me in taking me into your home for the summer. I am so grateful for that. God bless and have a Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteLOVE it! Isn't it wonderful how the greatest adventures come quite unexpectedly? A normal train ride turns into an adventure full of just the right amount of panic and fun. :) Literally laughed out loud imagining this scene in my mind. :) Merry Christmas long lost missionary friend! Thinking of you and your crazy sister. Hugs from America.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, pointless challenges are the besT! Nice piece of writing too! I was out of breath and pantomiming - everything with you. And then the fictitious parable-like analogy of being held under the garage door;) wonder if any readers thought that could possibly be real?) Your descriptions kept me on the edge of my seat - ice skating and blending in, I bet there are not many fat people you could squat down behind and hide from the station people aye? This was the best Christmas present!!! Best best!!! Thanks so much! Love you and miss you like crazy!!! Dad
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun read! I could "feel" the family hugs!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas Shaun! Uncle Kevin.
Thanks Uncle Kevin! Miss you and the rest of the family from back east tons! Send everyone my love.
ReplyDeleteCourtney! You would love it over here. Miss you bud, and I enjoy following your blog!
Dad, Lisa seems to think that our garage door had a sensor that stopped it from closing and I swear it didn't. Back me up on this one.
meanwhile at the station in Kunshan, Lisa was waiting. She had driven her scooter right up to the building(which you're technically not supposed to do), and was sitting there while 2 cops in a police car sat eyeing her, like a lion ready to pounce.
ReplyDelete@Anonymous: Write about it in your blog Lisa :)
ReplyDeleteGreat story Shaun!!
ReplyDelete