It’s been a while since my first entry, I’m sorry. Things have really started to become a routine here. I’m trying to stop that. I mean it is nice to have a routine and to know what you are doing but I want to keep things new and interesting. That can be a challenge in the classroom but I am trying to come up with ideas. It’s easier to think of things outside the classroom to keep things interesting. We just had Parent-Teacher Conference day last thursday. It was really nice to meet the parents and get more of an insight on their kids.
We had a four hour break between our PTC meetings so a few of the other guys and I decided to rent a couple of honda scooters to ride around on. They cost about $25 each for 24 hours. So we doubled up on the scooters and rode for about an hour. We had more meetings then we rode some more that night. I was riding with Barbie who is from Australia and he forgot what side of the road we drove on so he pulled out directly into traffic. Nothing was hurt except for his pride. We didn’t have school friday so Barbie, Jon and I got up around 6 in the morning to go for a ride around the island. Jon has a Honda XR 200 so we had a little bit of a hard time keeping up with him on the little scooters. About halfway around the Island Barbie got a flat so we filled it up again at a gas station. After riding for another 10 minutes his tire was flat again so we left the bike and he hopped on with Jon. The dogs here are insane. When they see us coming towards them on the bikes, they start running straight at us and try to bite our feet. You just have to lift up your feet and honk and try not to run over them. It keeps things exciting. I think they should rent out little whiffle ball bats to defend yourself with. My back tire would wobble when I went slow but it stopped wobbling the faster I went. We found out later that a bunch of the spokes were broken. If I had known that, I probably wouldn’t have gone 95 kph down some of those hills. We returned the scooters later that day and we didn’t have to pay full price because they didn’t do a thorough safety check on the scooters before they rented them to us. We had a bunch of fun and it didn’t cost us more than 5 bucks per person.
Last Tuesday we went out on the boat to go surfing and snorkeling. The surf was really small but we had fun. When we were coming back in Bryce, the guy who was driving, noticed that the boat really wanted to turn to the left. So he decide to just let go of the steering while we were going and the boat did a doughnut and almost flipped. Everyone was a little ticked at him but oh well. We ended up seeing this neat 50 foot sail boat that had just come to port. An elderly couple were on it and we got into talking to them. They were from Seattle and they decided that they wanted to buy a boat and “Get out of Bablyon.” They had never sailed before so they hired 4 guys to help them sail to Hawaii and then they sailed from Hawaii to Pohnpei on their own. Sounds like something my parents would love to do.
Today is a pretty lazy Sabbath for me. I probably will just end up eating some of the curry I made last night then nap for a couple of hours on my hammock then maybe go for a little longboard ride around the school if it stops raining. I’m loving it here but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it back home a little bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment